SCSIO OpenIR  > 热带海洋环境国家重点实验室(LTO)
Nitrogen fate in a subtropical mangrove swamp: Potential association with seawater-groundwater exchange
Xiao, K; Wu, JP; Li, HL; Hong, YG; Wilson, AM; Jiao, JJ; Shananan, M; lihailong@sustc.edu.cn; yghong@gzhu.edu.cn
2018
Source PublicationSCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT
Volume635Pages:586-597
AbstractCoastal mangrove swamps play an important role in nutrient cycling at the land-ocean boundary. However, little is known about the role of periodic seawater-groundwater exchange in the nitrogen cycling processes. Seawatergroundwater exchange rates and inorganic nitrogen concentrations were investigated along a shore-perpendicular intertidal transect in Daya Bay, China. The intertidal transect comprises three hydrologic subzones (tidal creek, mangrove and bare mudflat zones), each with different physicochemical characteristics. Salinity and hydraulic head measurements taken along the transect were used to estimate the exchange rates between seawater and groundwater over a spring-neap tidal cycle. Results showed that the maximum seawater-groundwater exchange occurred within the tidal creek zone, which facilitated high-oxygen seawater infiltration and subsequent nitrification. In contrast, the lowest exchange rate found in the mangrove zone caused over-loading of organic matter and longer groundwater residence times. This created an anoxic environment conducive to nitrogen loss through the anammox and denitrification processes. Potential oxidation rates of ammonia and nitrite were measured by the rapid and high-throughput method and rates of denitrification and anammox were measured by the modified membrane inlet mass spectrometry (MIMS) with isotope pairing, respectively. In the whole transect, denitrification accounted for 90% of the total nitrogen loss, and anammox accounted for the remaining 10%. The average nitrogen removal rate was about 2.07 g per day per cubic meter of mangrove sediments. (C) 2018 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Department[Xiao, Kai] China Univ Geosci, Sch Water Resources & Environm Sci, State Key Lab Biogeol & Environm Geol, Beijing 100083, Peoples R China; [Wu, Jiapeng] Chinese Acad Sci, South China Sea Inst Oceanol, State Key Lab Trop Oceanog, Guangzhou 100083, Guangdong, Peoples R China; [Li, Hailong] South Univ Sci & Technol China, Sch Environm Sci & Engn, Key Lab Soil & Groundwater Pollut Control Shenzhe, Shenzhen 518055, Peoples R China; [Hong, Yiguo] Univ Guangzhou, Sch Environm Sci & Engn, Guangzhou 510006, Guangdong, Peoples R China; [Wilson, Alicia M.; Shananan, Meghan] Univ South Carolina, Sch Earth Ocean & Environm, Columbia, SC 29208 USA; [Jiao, Jiu Jimmy] Univ Hong Kong, Dept Earth Sci, Pokfulam Rd, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Peoples R China
KeywordCoastal Wetlands Hydrodynamic Circulation Microbial Activity Nitrogen Cycle Daya Bay
Subject AreaEnvironmental Sciences & Ecology
Funding ProjectLTO
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://ir.scsio.ac.cn/handle/344004/17054
Collection热带海洋环境国家重点实验室(LTO)
Corresponding Authorlihailong@sustc.edu.cn; yghong@gzhu.edu.cn
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Xiao, K,Wu, JP,Li, HL,et al. Nitrogen fate in a subtropical mangrove swamp: Potential association with seawater-groundwater exchange[J]. SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT,2018,635:586-597.
APA Xiao, K.,Wu, JP.,Li, HL.,Hong, YG.,Wilson, AM.,...&yghong@gzhu.edu.cn.(2018).Nitrogen fate in a subtropical mangrove swamp: Potential association with seawater-groundwater exchange.SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT,635,586-597.
MLA Xiao, K,et al."Nitrogen fate in a subtropical mangrove swamp: Potential association with seawater-groundwater exchange".SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT 635(2018):586-597.
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.