SCSIO OpenIR  > 热带海洋环境国家重点实验室(LTO)
Heat contribution of the Indonesian throughflow to the Indian Ocean
Zhang, Tiecheng2; Wang, Weiqiang1,3; Xie, Qiang1,3; Chen, Lingfang
2019
Source PublicationACTA OCEANOLOGICA SINICA
ISSN0253-505X
Volume38Issue:4Pages:72
AbstractBased on the high-resolution Eulerian fields of an ocean general circulation model simulation, the heat contribution of the Indonesian throughflow (ITF) to the Indian Ocean is estimated by Lagrangian tracing method. The heat transport of each particle of ITF waters is calculated by tracing temperature change along the trajectory until the particle exits the Indian Ocean. The simulation reveals that the ITF waters flow westward and branch near Madagascar, further showing the ITF waters are redistributed in both northern and southern Indian Ocean. Heat budget analysis indicates that the ITF waters gain 0.41 PW (Petawatts, 1015 W) in the northern Indian Ocean and lose 0.56 PW in the southern Indian Ocean, respectively. As a result, the ITF waters warm the whole Indian Ocean basin with only 0.15 PW, which shows an insignificant role of ITF on the Indian Ocean because of the heat exchange compensation between northern and southern Indian Ocean. Furthermore, the tracing pathways show that the ITF waters mainly flow out the Indian Ocean at both sides of the basin via Agulhas Current and Leeuwin Current. About 89% of the ITF waters leave along western boundary and the rest 11% along eastern boundary. Compared to seeding section, 0.10 PW and 0.05 PW are released to the Indian Ocean, respectively.
DepartmentLTO
KeywordIndonesian throughflow Indian Ocean heat contribution
DOI10.1007/s13131-019-1414-6
Citation statistics
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://ir.scsio.ac.cn/handle/344004/17745
Collection热带海洋环境国家重点实验室(LTO)
Affiliation1.Chinese Acad Sci, Inst Deep Sea Sci & Engn, Sanya 572000, Peoples R China
2.Chinese Acad Sci, South China Sea Inst Oceanol, State Key Lab Trop Oceanog, Guangzhou 510301, Guangdong, Peoples R China
3.Univ Chinese Acad Sci, Beijing 100049, Peoples R China
4.Pilot Natl Lab Marine Sci & Technol Qingdao, Lab Reg Oceanog & Numer Modeling, Qingdao 266237, Shandong, Peoples R China
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Zhang, Tiecheng,Wang, Weiqiang,Xie, Qiang,et al. Heat contribution of the Indonesian throughflow to the Indian Ocean[J]. ACTA OCEANOLOGICA SINICA,2019,38(4):72, 79.
APA Zhang, Tiecheng,Wang, Weiqiang,Xie, Qiang,&Chen, Lingfang.(2019).Heat contribution of the Indonesian throughflow to the Indian Ocean.ACTA OCEANOLOGICA SINICA,38(4),72.
MLA Zhang, Tiecheng,et al."Heat contribution of the Indonesian throughflow to the Indian Ocean".ACTA OCEANOLOGICA SINICA 38.4(2019):72.
Files in This Item:
File Name/Size DocType Version Access License
Heat contribution of(1371KB)期刊论文出版稿开放获取CC BY-NC-SAApplication Full Text
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.